Saturday, July 17, 2010

Milk. Does a cucumber good?

One of my favorite things we are growing right now is cucumbers. These curly tendrils are amazing. They quickly grow long and search out anything in its path to curl around. Then, they hold on for dear, cucumber-making life. I attempted to build an A frame support to create a method to their madness. Yellow flowers, spikey babies, and lots of water later, we have CUCUMBERS!!!! This is very exciting for a person desperate for a hobby and who has a history of being the Grim Reaper of plant life around her.


You can see why I would be concerned when I noticed white, powdery spots on the leaves of another cucumber plant I started. After the white spots, the leaves turned yellow and wilted away. Well, learn something new everyday. Apparently, this is appropriately called powdery mildew disease. I don't know how it got there, but I came across a home remedy at www.gardenguides.com. Spraying watered down milk (1part milk:9parts water) on the leaves eliminates the problem and boosts the immune system of the plant. Huh. It's working, so far. I'll keep you posted.

guarding the harvest

cucumber nunchucks?

"ello? ello?"




1 comment: