Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tomato CRAZY!!!!

I need an intervention! Someone, please help! I cannot stop adding tomato plants to our garden. I think I am absolutely missing the part of my brain that says enough is enough, when it comes to tomato varieties. This year, I am trying many heirloom tomatoes including the Old German and Box Car Willie. I could not pass up growing Tigerella, a red and orange stripped tomato, Cherokee Purple, or Pineapple tomatoes (a tropical-tasting pink and yellow variety). I didn't even know they exsisted before this year, so of course, I need to check this out. I can't help but think of the phrase curiosity killed the cat. But, in this case, I'm pretty sure curiosity is going to bury us in tomatoes!

Last year, we grew Sweet 100s, a red cherry tomato. They were so fun to pick and eat that I made sure we had some this year. All season, I have been in mad pursuit of Sungold tomatoes. We bought a pint, of these sweet, orange lil' ones, at the farmers' market last year. The person selling them gave us a sample and told the kids that they were "candy tomatoes". We all thought they were tasty and finished the pint that weekend. I knew we had to have them in our backyard, but I had not been able to find them aannywhere! Today, we were at Whole Foods, of course stopping at their vegetable plants outside, and Emma shouted, "MOM! SUN TOMATOES!!!" She spotted them!!! Then she looked around at the others, and said, "Here's a big boy." Gotcha! That girl can read. For some reason, it is her biggest secret, something that she hides. Not today! Not when tomato crazy is spilling over. It must be contagious!

So, I think that is going to be our last tomato addition to our gardens. I'm out of room. I wonder if there is a support group for this kind of thing.

3 comments:

  1. HA! That's awesome!!! I have the same problem... Val has tried to talk to me about it, but I just don't seem to hear it. Every year, I try to squeeze as many as I can into one tiny spot - and then when they get big I can't even get in there to pick them without breaking branches. Someone must stop people like us... But it is so fun! Also, I bet Emma has been reading and hiding it from everyone since she was 2. I'm going to need lessons on how to make kids so smart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I'm sure glad you have the same problem. Also, I'm pretty sure your kids are going to come straight out of the womb knowing every classification of every animal (and maybe even some that haven't been discovered yet)!!!! ;) Do you have a favorite tomato?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am addicted to grape tomatoes. I grow a ridiculous number of them - especially because each plant usually produces a ton. But like I said, I just can't stop. I eat them like candy - so I'm particularly curious about these sungolds of which you speak. I got excited because I saw seeds for them today at the hardware store, but told myself they'll have to wait till next year. A big step in the tomato-growing-self-restraint department ;o)

    ReplyDelete