Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Into the Mouths of Babes

Broccoli update! We chose broccoli as a new experiment this year. We've been able to harvest them and eat them for 2 dinners this spring, so far. I waited a little too long to harvest because I was being greedy. I thought maybe they would grow a little bigger, but, huh, learn something new everyday. Instead, every little bud of their classic 'tree like' appearance turns into mini yellow flowers. Cute! I did not know that.


I also learned about a new pest. Cabbage worms. The little jerks eat holes in all of the leaves and I've heard rumors about the adults, white butterflies, laying eggs in the roots, killing the plant. So far, the most organic way I have found to to get rid of these suckers is to hunt them down and smash them. I saw a white butterfly over by the broccoli today. For the first time in my life, I thought about killing a butterfly. It's a sad day, but seriously, stay away from my broccoli! Some gardeners suggest using row covers, and I also read that some people cover their broccoli heads with pantyhoes. I've decided against buying my vegetables undergarments/outfitting them like thieves and will stick to the smashing method.

do you like seefood?

pardon our manners, but mom said we could, (for the photo op, of course)


I am hoping that this is not the end of the broccoli, generally a spring crop. One of the main reasons I tried growing broccoli this year was because of an annual summer trip. Since forever ago, we have hung out with dear, dear friends in Litchfield. Last year, I noticed a broccoli plant with little shoots all over it, in August! It looked like they were exactly ready to join a veggie tray. Mr. D and Jess, my gardening idols, invited me to taste them. They were so crazy delicious that I absolutely had to stop myself from pulling up a lawn chair and eating the whole plant. I decided to attempt to grow some this year at home, as not to have such a ridiculous reaction at the lake. So, here's hopin' for side shoots!!! I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Thought of you today as I smashed caterpillars and dug leaf miners out of my broccoli leaves. Mine are not looking so good. I asked Val to kill a butterfly for me. Shameful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. We have been catching the butterflies and observing them for a while in little kid bug catchers and then "accidently" forgetting that they are in there... in a sunny spot... in a tiny, plastic, magnifying container. Yeah...I'm leaning toward maybe catching them and keeping them all alive for a field trip release somewhere, from now on. eeesh, the guilt. oh, also, one got tossed into the pool, while in the little container with little holes. I wonder which is more humane, drowning or frying? Ok, I'm convinced, catch and release, from now on.

    ReplyDelete