Sunday, August 15, 2010

Uninvited Guest

Well, look who's been keeping my garden company while we were gone. This little punk ate most of every tomato on one of my plants. So, I have found tomato hornworms on plants before. Each time, we captured it and banished it to a glass jar. Each time, I forced it into a science project. Apparently, these things turn into giant 5-spotted hawk moths that can fly up to 30 mph. I wanted to see this. Unfortunately, (but actually I don't really care), they all did not quite make it. Once, death by squirrel and then, death by hot jar. We'll see what happens this time. Every time this happened, I couldn't help but think, "Well, buddy, maybe you shouldn't have eaten all of my tomatoes."

tomato hornworm


I ran across a home remedy I want to remember for next year. These jerks also LOVE dill. So, if you plant dill around your tomatoes, they will attack that first. The idea is that you would notice this damage before they get to the tomatoes. Learn something new every day.

I also mentioned that we were gone this weekend. This trip concludes our summer travels. We have been on 5 trips all together, and I will be working on a new post about our adventures soon. Probably will be more exciting than hornworm stories! =) Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maria! I'm going to try to comment again - we'll see if it works. Anyway, I also seemed to have hornworm problems in my tomatoes and I read something about corn meal - if you sprinkle corn meal around the plants, the caterpillars will eat that and it will basically blow them up and kill them. Brutal death for sure, but hey, that's what they get for eating my tomatoes? I tried it, and didn't see any dead hornworms, but also haven't seen any more hornworm damage, so who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Excellent! That is way better than feeding them dill!

    ReplyDelete