Monday, August 9, 2010

A New Invention

A carrot update for those that are interested. So, I decided to pull many more of our carrots for dinner. I've been told by my awesome gardening-guru buddy, Jen, that I should not expect long, store-bought-looking carrots. I appreciate the reality check, because I was really holding out for the pretty, long ones in the picture they have right on the seed packet. Anyway, not so much, but enough to try to eat for dinner.


Pulled, check! Washed, check! Peeled, check! Pre-tasted, check... Arg! Metal taste again. That's okay...we're definitely going to eat these things, even if I have to use lots of butter. To the 'fridge.....no butter! Nice. Water and brown sugar it is then.


Next, the CHAOS that is preparing dinner while supervising 2 little ones ensues. Long story short, I start to smell a funny carrot smell. I remember those carrots on the back burner, and lift the lid to uncover my new invention...gummy carrots. If ANYONE looked into that pan and had to guess what was in front of them, I may have heard, "are you cooking pennies?....in goo?" or "gummy bears for dinner?!?" or "are you cooking the pan from when I changed the oil in my car?" What a life....those mini seeds came a long way only to be turned into inedible, shriveled disks that require a sharp, sturdy object to pry them from our teeth. (Don't worry...I'm talking about the adults' teeth..they were deemed too terrible to feed to the kids). BUUUHMMER. I would have taken a picture, but I was too busy trying not to cry. Oh, well.

My new plan is to come up with a menu per week and prepare/freeze as much as I can. Wouldn't that be fabulous? To just pull meals out of the freezer and presto..dinner! So, I can't really see this ACTUALLY happening, but I'd like to try. What is your favorite recipe to freeze? Has anyone done this before or know of weekly menu resources? The whole vegetarian/gluten free thing might throw a wrench in this plan, but just a thought...we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I love the America's Test Kitchen "Make-Ahead Meals" cookbook. I made a few recipes and had lots of frozen meals before Isla was born. My favorite is the chicken pot pie. Easy to make a vegetarian batch, at least.

    ReplyDelete