Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Slow Death by Rubber Duck....

...is the name of the book I just finished.



I went back and forth about reading this. Should I be informed about this or forget I had even heard of it? It did seem like a slippery slope into daily paranoia about toxins. I knew there would be no turning back. I'm really glad I couldn't stop myself, though. It was eye-opening for sure. Fortunately, it did not plunge me in to a neurotic state, but rather, it gave me an awareness I am glad I now have. To sum it up, two guys Rick Smith and Brouce Lourie, decided it would be a good idea to expose themselves to a variety of toxins doing typical, everyday activities to see if they could significantly increase or decrease the levels of these toxins in their systems. The results were amazing and terrifying! With that said, I am encouraging you to read it, so I will mention what the authors include in the introduction:

"The book that you are holding is downright hopeful. Now this may seem counterintuitive, given that the word 'death' appears in the and the book describes a great many toxic chemicals that are screwing up our bodies in myriad ways. There is that. .... But things can change. Sometimes quickly and for the better." (p 1.)

Rick and Bruce focused on phthalates, PFCs (teflon), PBDEs (flame retardants), mercury, and triclosan (active ingredient in antibacterial products) pesticides, and BPA. The book highlighted the history of the production and use of these chemicals and others like them. Ignorance is not bliss in this case. Everyone should read this book. Let me know what you think!


http://slowdeathbyrubberduck.com/USA/

No comments:

Post a Comment